Titans bounce back with 38-12 victory

After the first back to back losses since 2011, the Manchester Titans, sponsored by Manchester Printers, looked to get back on track with a home game against the Staffordshire Surge. The Titans won the toss and elected to receive on a warm & sunny afternoon at Salford City Stadium. Manchester relied upon the running of RB Nick Copley to go 60 yards in 5 plays to open the scoring through Copley’s 2 yard TD run. The extra point attempt was missed leaving the score 6-0.

Staffordshire’s offense then received the ball and through the passing of veteran QB Richard Large starting driving down the field until on 3rd & 15, #26 Ryan Newton knocked down a pass which forced a punt. The Titans went 3 & out on their next possession but on the Surge’s ensuing drive, #63 Andy Burridge forced a fumble that #98 Erivaldo Guimaraes recovered on Staffordshire’s 11 yard line. 2 plays later, Copley had his 2nd touchdown of the game. The XP was again missed making the score 12-0.

Things went from bad to worse for Staffs on the following kickoff as #28 Matt Brown forced a fumble which #36 Jonathan Gago recovered. Manchester went 35 yards in 4 plays for Copley to get his hat-trick from 21 yards out. Ric Pennington kicked the XP and the Titans had a 19-0 lead at the end of the 1st Quarter.

3 straight incomplete passes forced another Titans punt but a big sack by Guimaraes on 3rd & 14 forced the Surge to punt. However, 3 plays only resulted in 9 yards for Manchester so they brought on Pennington to punt on 4th & 1, but Staffordshire committed a Roughing the Punter penalty giving the Titans a first down and they took full advantage. Copley scampered 32 yards before Mead found rookie WR James Newnes behind the Surge defense for a 21 yard TD. The XP was no good but the Titans had a 38-12 lead with very little time left in the game. On the final play, #90 Mike Ripley put a big hit on the Surge WR to end the game.

Although Manchester struggled in the 2nd half, they were glad to get back to winning ways and are looking forward to the next match against the Shropshire Revolution at home on Sunday 30th June.